Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Happy Baby Day!

The day got off to a wonderful start this morning--we received a phone call from a good friend at 7:30 a.m. announcing the birth of his first child! This is a young couple in our church who is very dear to us. They were married on our wedding anniversary and started out with a 'bun in the oven' just like we did. They've grown so much in the last 9 months, and it's so amazing to see them becoming parents. We've known the new daddy since he was in elementary school, which is fun (but makes me feel REALLY old). So CONGRATS Ben and Molly!

In other news, DH made the most amazing strawberry ice cream this weekend. He used this recipe which we always use for vanilla, but with more milk to make a 2-qt batch. This time, he added about 3 cups of chopped, smashed strawberries--you know, out-of-season winter strawberries (can't wait for June...). But it was mouthwatering nonetheless, and I personally was responsible for the disappearance of about 1/4 of the batch. It would have been more, but we had company over so decided to share.

Tuesdays and Thursdays are my days off from babysitting. You know, it's only one extra kid for most of the day, and he's really a great kid, but.....it's just such a weight off my shoulders when his dad picks him up (and his 2 siblings that come over after school). My eight kids seems so much more manageable when I'm not responsible for someone else's child, as well.

For supper today, I'm gonna try the wet burritos from The Happy Housewife. I've got some leftover burrito meat (mixed with refried beans) for half of the batch, and some leftover cooked chicken from last night, for the other half. I think it'll work out great. DD made us poppyseed-lemon muffins for breakfast (though she didn't hear the timer go off and let them get a *little* overbrowned), and I just whipped up a batch of granola bars for snacks/breakfast later in the week. Lunch will probably be PB&J today--I'm out of leftovers and we just had ham yesterday. Gotta work on my menus for the rest of the week!

No comments:

Post a Comment